From:
Annie Grieshop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 18:49:19 -0600
Following are two pages from the "Career Transition Manual:  Job Search
Information and Techniques" (Lee Hecht Harrison, 1999, pp 20-21), in re
scanned resumes.  For more technical info, see http://www.resumix.com, a
site for one of the companies that produces the software for scanning
resumes.  I haven't perused it in any depth, but I've been told that it
includes hints and tricks.  Also, I've been referred to "Riley's Guide" on
the web, but haven't bothered to track down the URL.  (I've just been laid
off by a software company, where I was a trainer, and have been waffling on
whether to head back to museum work -- which I did for 14 years -- or stick
around in the software biz, hence my knowledge of this stuff.)  Anyway, hope
this helps....

"Preparing Resumes for Document Scanners"

Many companies use electronic scanners and optical character recognition
software to sort resumes in the hiring process.  The old way is time
consumning and expensive.

Most scanners use key phrases and skills from the job description and these
are entered into the scanner.  Most systems have predefined categories, such
as education and industry experience.  The hiring manager can ask for other
categories such as the mention of a specific software.  By inserting the key
words, the search can be customized.  Then the resumes are scanned and
formatted using an automated process to match the specifications to the
applicants.  The scanning system extracts and analyses information and
provides an applicant summary for the interviewer or hiring manager.

"Resume Scanner Do's and Don'ts"

In order to make sure your resume scans correctly, there are some rules and
guidelines you will want to follow:

Overall:
*  When submitting your resume, ask whether a scanner will be used in
reviewing your resume.
*  Accomplishments should match the requirements for the job.
Style:
*  Pay particular attention to key words and skills that appear in job
descriptions -- make sure they are also in your resume.
*  List computer proficiencies using standard words and spellings, i.e.,
UNIX, DOS
Format and Layout:
*  Use light colored paper, wide margins and lots of white space -- it makes
a resume easy to scan.
*  Do not use bold type, underlining or fancy typefaces.
*  Faxes or even some dot matrix printed materials do not scan very well.

Annie