From:
Dale Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:10:31 -0800
Have you ever wondered what elements are common to outstanding
educational programs in history museums and historic sites?  The
Institute for Learning Innovation is undertaking a study of educational
programming in history museums and historic sites to determine those
elements, and we would like your help.  Whether you work in a small,
mid-sized or large museum or site, you may be offering programs that are
outstanding and of value to the field.

We are surveying a wide variety of programs including programs for
family, youth, the general public, school groups (both on-site and
outreach programming), etc.   We are interested in outstanding hands-on
programs, costumed interpretation, demonstrations, tours, and whatever
other interpretive techniques educators have developed to reach their
audiences in engaging and creative ways.

Here's how you might help.  We are collecting information through both
interviews with museum professionals and a literature search.  If you
have identified any outstanding
practices or trends, whether or not you are currently using them, we
would appreciate it if you could let us know.  If you would like to be
interviewed (it takes about 20 minutes) and discuss a program (or
programs) that you think exemplifies some of the best museum educational
practices, please contact us, and we will schedule a mutually convenient
time to talk.   If you are aware of an article or study that identifies
exemplary practices in programming, we would appreciateit if you would
provide us with citation information so that we may add it to our
bibliography.  At the completion of the study we will post the
bibliography to the list for everyone to share.   Our  goal for this
project is offer the information we gather back to the field through
articles and presentations.

Please contact us if you have any comments, thoughts, or would like to
be interviewed.  Thank you in advance for your time and consideration of
our request.

Dale Jones
Institute for Learning Innovation
166 West Street