From:
Janice Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:45:18 -0500
A couple of thoughts.  First, to answer your question, there is nothing
sacred about a catalogue card layout.  If you can get the same information
organized in a way that is useful to you, I wouldn't worry about making it
match previous formats.

Second, why are you keeping pieces of paper in your collections area?
Generally that kind of paperwork (worksheets) can be put in the accession
file (in the Registrars Office), if they have information that is necessary
to keep (I alway keep mine).  The number that you physically place on the
object links it to all its documentation, no matter where it is.  Paper in
collections can get separated, damaged or insect chewed.

As a strong advocate of Filemaker Pro, I am curious why it would be so
expensive to create an accession card format on EmBark.  It took me less
than 10 minutes and little bit of printer adjustment (about 4 tries) to make
a perfect replica of my catalogue cards using Filemaker.   Don't tell me
those
"we-can-do-it-so-much-better-than-you-possibly-could-with-a-commerical-datab
ase" systems have limitations that a $180 (without academic discount)
off-the-shelf system doesn't!