From:
Anne Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:48:27 -0500
At 01:52 PM 05-11-99 -0500, you wrote:
>A lot of places seem to want a time commitment (maybe
>six months or so) from a prospective volunteer.  This can be
>hard to give if you are jobhunting, since it's likely that
>if you get a job, the hours will conflict with your prior
>volunteer commitment.  Or, even if you could work something
>out, it might be a little weird to keep volunteering at a place
>where you now have a paid position.  Or, you may not have enough time to
>keep up your previous volunteer commitment and a full-time job.

So what are they going to do - fire you?  Dock your pay?  I understand
wanting to honor a commitment, but I would hope any institution you are
volunteering for would understand your having to change the terms of your
commitment because you got a real job.  As for its being awkward to keep
volunteering for a place you are now working for, I believe there are laws
against a company requiring you to volunteer for work for which they would
ordinarily pay you.  Here at our organization, staff may "volunteer" to
work outside normal working hours at special events or to help finish an
exhibition by its opening, but we get comp time for it.
Anne T. Lane, Collections Assistant
Museum of York County
4621 Mount Gallant Road,
Rock Hill, SC 29732-9905