From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:08:35 -0700
Martin Weiss compressed these thoughts through the cyber-mist:

>Does your museum/science center have a written policy that
>covers the appropriate use of computers in the workplace? Do you feel
>it is necessary? Have you developed such a policy?

NO -- to all three questions.  I think higher administration has to ask
if it is willing to respect the independence and responsibility of its
employees, or instead assume they need restrictive policies.  My feeling
is the former will lead to a better working environment.

If an employee is spending so much time on the computer that their work
suffers, the issue should be between that individual and their
supervisor.  If their computer time does not intrude on their job
performance, then who cares what they're doing online?  Conflicts brought
about by computer usage are likely covered by other work-behavior
policies, so perhaps it is better not to add another layer of control.

Stephen

     S t e p h e n    N o w l i n       Director, Williamson Gallery

     Vice President                     Producer, Art Center Online
     Art Center College of Design       www.artcenter.edu

Museum-L" (without the quotes).