From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 14:45:53 -0400
Anne Ackerson writes of >>>a trend we're seeing in NYS among small to
mid-sized history (primarily) museum directors -- that is, many have come to
their directorships from other careers, some of those careers being totally
unrelated to museums. <<<

I have always wondered what careers would be regarded as "totally unrelated"
to our nation's smaller museums.  Right now, these institutions for the most
part struggle very hard and need good fundraising efforts, effective
advocacy, and marketing, and they need to be "connected" with their
constituencies.  If they can attract a banker, business executive, proven
insurance salesperson, teacher, retired military person, whatever, those
backgrounds may be just right.

She adds:  >>>We're also seeing a number of these institutions going begging
for directors, partly (I suppose) due to salary, location, and general lack
of vision on the part of boards and staff to develop the potential of these
museums.<<<

It would be interesting to know if the university "museum studies" programs
give much thought to placing their graduates in the small towns with small
museums.  It seems from Museum-L postings that job-hungry graduates are
centering their efforts on the big urban places?

>The RCHA director, an institute participant and I are going to present a
>panel discussion about the institute at this year's AASLH/MAAM annual
>meeting in Baltimore.  To help frame the discussion, I thought it might be
>useful to get a handle on the bigger picture.  I'd like to ask the list if
>the trends we're seeing in smaller institutions in NYS are trends that are
>happening in other states?  Do you see  a shortage of qualified  museum
>leadership in the smaller institution? How critical is the problem?  What
>can be done to address it?
>
>Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.  We'll incorporate them into our
>remarks in Baltimore.
>
>Anne Ackerson, Administrator
>Museum Association of New York
>189 Second Street
>Troy, New York  12180
>518-273-3400

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ museum-l.html. You may obtain
detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line
e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message
should read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).