Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:31:27 -0400
Several weeks ago I put forth a query regarding colour standards.  I
received 1 response concerning the Munsell colour code which we have had to
discard for several reasons.  As I am sure many other institutions are faced
with this dilemma I am going to share with you are latest thoughts.
We are thinking of using a basic colour scheme:

yellow
orange
red
pink
purple
blue
green
white
black
brown
grey
silver
gold
copper
transparent or clear

We run into problems from this point on because some people are happy with
the terms as is without modifiers.  If people want to be descriptive they
should use the description field.  Plus we have an increasing number of
artifact images in our database for identification purposes.

Some people want to use the modifiers "light" and "dark" which ups the ante
some what.

Others want to go all out and use variations of the above such as dark
blue-green; light  orange-red.

And some even want to use medium-dark red-brown.

Well, you can imagine the discussions we are having.

Any suggestions?  Any tried and true approaches out there?

Comments would be most appreciated.

Yours in colour limbo ...
Patti Davis-Perkins
Canadian Museum of Civilization