From:
Todd Happer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:07:44 -0400
Kim--

At a small science center I worked at in Fort Wayne we had a great deal of
success attracting items we needed (specific hardware and "junk" pieces for
"invention" programs; rocks, pinecones, etc. for a trading area) by:

1) putting out press releases with the "wish list" and explaining why we needed
them, i.e., how they would be used

2) having a related sheet in the building for visitors and staff (which
included hundreds of volunteers) to take home with them.

Together, these were also very helpful with out community relations, media
relations and volunteer program efforts--as well as helping the exhibits and
programs agendas of the institution.

Also, Cliff Wagner, who developed the "Contraptions A to Z" temporary
exhibition now at the Pittsburgh Children's Museum, once mentioned that he had found the
exact hard-to-find item he was looking for in that show (I think it was an
old-fashined plow?) by going on the EBay auction site.  Not free, of course, but
there's a tremendous amount of "stuff" out there.  Probably on amazon.com and other
auction sites too.

--Todd Happer
Scientific American

Museum-L" (without the quotes).