From:
Erik Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 00:31:34 EDT
I want to thank you for your thoughts and opinions about the subject with
which I am faced.  I am hopeful that my co-workers and I will be given the
opportunity to voice our opinions about the policy in the next staff meeting.
 Your arguements for and against drug screens have helped me strengthen my
resolve to stand against the action and speak my mind.  Although I feel that
in doing this I may lose a job that I have worked hard to get and love very
much.

The random drug screenings are scheduled to begin on July first.  I have been
thinking of little else this past week.  While I can buy into the idea that
an initial drug screening upon being hired is fair, I will not tolerate a
monthly, random, unjustfied seach of my body.  I think that in small companys
like mine, only 100 employees, it is easy enough to spot people that have
issues that are affecting their job performance.  Supervisors can deal with
these problems on a case by case basis.  It is not fair to subject loyal,
hard working, and underpaid team players to this type of treatment.  It is a
slap in the face.

I joined the team two and a half years ago when there were only 25 employees.
 Together we worked diligently to open the region's premier science museum,
and have worked harder since keeping it up and running.  We already have a
high turnover rate and many problems keeping adequate staff on our floor.  I
doubt this policy is going to help our ability to hire qualified workers.
The threat of the test has already led to a lot of bad feelings among the
staff,  becoming the brunt of many a sarcastic joke.  Many people to whom I
have spoken agree that it is very disappointing and they may be moving on.  I
hope to change our CEO's mind about the neccesity of the measure.

I am certain that I am doing what I am meant to be doing; I am an craftsman
and I build wonderful children's exhibits.  I am just getting started and
have many things that I want to accomplish.  I hope that I get to finish, but
I am not willing to forget my constitutional rights to do so.  I will let the
list know how I fare.

As I was reminded by a bumper sticker on the way to work yesterday...
Speak your mind even if your voice shakes

Regards,
Erik Myers

Museum-L" (without the quotes).