From:
Reine Hauser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:35:30 -0400
Additional thoughts on food:

I have worked at several institutions where rentals for special events were
used to generate earned income.  One thing I have instituted in each case
in an approved list of caterers; renters must select from a list provided
to them.  I interviewed the caterers before creating the list; they were
all delighted to be included in what they considered to be not only a
"prestigious " list, but also one in which they were assured repeat
business.  They, and their staffs, were accordingly VERY cooperative in
respecting both the collection and the site.

Often, renters wished to bring their own food, i.e. self-cater.  However,
that posed significant liaibility problems for the institution (food
poisoning, anyone?), so it was not permitted.  This simulatenously solved
the many problems of amateur catering, such as lack of proper equipment,
disorganization and ability to clean up after an event.

Best--Reine Hauser

Museum-L" (without the quotes).