From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 14:04:29 -0400
The Museums Council of New York City is a membership association of
virtually all of the City's not for profit museums.  Founded in 1939, the
Council now has over 85 member institutions.  We hold meetings every several
weeks at member institutions both large and small.

Our next meeting is at the China Institute 125 East 65th Street on May 20
from 6:00 to 8:30 PM.  The President of the Institute, Mr. Torrey Whitman,
will greet us at a wine and cheese reception, and there will be a gallery
tour of the exhibition "A Literati Life in the Twentieth Century: Wang
Fangyu."

Founded in 1926, the China Institute is the oldest bicultural organization
in America focusing on China.  Its mision is to promote the understanding
and appreciation of Chinese civilization, culture, heritage, and current
affairs through classroom teaching and seminars, art exhibitions, public
programs, teacher education, lectures and symposia.  The China Institute
Gallery was formally established in 1966 as a gathering place for scholars
and connoisseurs of Chinese art with a mission to expose people to Chinese
culture.

Few people in the 20th century embodied the Chinese concept of cultured
elite as well as Wang Fangyu (1913-1997), an artist, scholar, teacher, and
collector.  Drawn from his collection, this exhibition features over 30
paintings, with some by the enigmatic 17th century artist Bada Shanren.
Other areas include examples of calligraphy and its toos, the evolution of
seals [I assume they mean the kind you put ink on and affix to paper, vs the
kind that bark and flap their flippers], and the role of forgeries in the
development of connoisseurship.

A Chinese dinner buffet will follow the tour.

If you are a museum professional in NYC, a student in the field, or in an
affiliated profession, you are welcome to come to the meeting.

It costs $25.00 per person.  Please mail the check to:
Amy Fischetti, Queens County Farm Museum, 73-50 Little Neck Parkway, Floral
Park, NY 11004.  If your check will not arrive in time, call Amy at (718)
347-3276 x 13.

Any other questions about the program or about the Museums Council of NYC,
please email me.

Eric Siegel
Director, Planning &
Program Development