From:
Pamela Sezgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 17:18:33 EDT
Dear Brian and listers:

Here are two 19th century courthouses that might be of interest to you:

(a)  Dahlonega, Georgia.   Today, this courthouse has been restored and
serves as the Gold Museum.   It was built in 1836.  Dahlonega was the center
of the North Georgia Gold Rush, starting in 1828.   For more information,
contact Sharon Johnson, State of Georgia Department of Natural Resources,
(404)864-2257, or write to The Dahlonega Courthouse Gold Museum / P O Box
2042 / Dahlonega, GA
30533.   Some of the original furniture remains in the museum.

(b)  The Creek Council House in Ocmulgee, Oklahoma.   This building is not a
"courthouse;"  it was the parliment building for the Creek Nation and it
dates from the 19th century.  Today, the Council House is a museum and the
building is owned  or managed by the City of Ocmulgee.   I found some
interesting similiarities in the interior organization of space with the
Dahlonega Courthouse -- e.g., room arrangements and use.  Also, there is some
original furniture in the Council House.   I don't have a contact person
handy, but if you write to [log in to unmask], she can give you one.
She served as a consultant there a few years ago.

Good luck with your research and please share your findings with the list!
I know you were looking for Ohio examples, but sometimes in Georgia, we share
some history with the midwest.   For example,  I know that Fairburn, Georgia,
which was the county seat for Old Campbell County in the 19th century was
settled by European-origin people from Ohio who came in covered wagons to
Georgia, after the Creek Nation was displaced from its homeland in the
mid-19th century.

Cordially,

pamela sezgin
executive director