From:
Vivian Lea Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 08:08:28 -0400
Annie Anthony (to subscribe to museum-l) wrote:

> Subject: Re: MCMUSEUMS
> Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 15:23:05 -0800
> From: Cherie Stihler <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Please tell me what kind of "collection" a children's science museum
> should
> have.
>
> Properly designed and staffed exhibits provide a great deal of
> learning.
> Children learn more by doing things than from having their parents
> read the
> little tags on a
> room full of artifacts to them.
>
> Blessed are the parents who will discuss exhibits of "collections"
> to their children - for their children shall inherit a love of
> historical
> museums.
> Lighten up folks - not every one learns in the same way.
> Children and adults have multiple intelligences and a choice in venues
> is
> positive.

Annie, I completely agree that museums as well as
"centers/galleries/etc" have a place in this world.  But what folks are
forgetting is that while education is a major functional component of
museums...SO IS COLLECTING!!!  If the instituion isn't collecting, I
still maintain it isn't a museum!  Likewise, if it isn't educating, it
isn't living up to its public trust responsibilities.

Remember the standarad mission statement of museums we all learned in
grad school...COLLECT, PRESERVE...and THEN interpret?...You are
absolutely right, folks learn in different ways.  But if we do not
properly collect and preserve our material past AND present, what will
those same children have to show their children??

VivianLea Stevens
Curator and Material Culture Historian
...and firm believer..."no collection, no museum"

Museum-L" (without the quotes).