From:
Suzanne Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 13:35:54 -0700
This is so frustrating, reading the posts about dress codes.   I work
in a fairly formal setting in a rare books library, and always dress
"appropriately", meaning a skirt, nice shoes, etc.   However, I also
have piercings (none facial).   I would NEVER take a museum job that
dictated the number of earrings that can be worn.   I am  not talking
about living history settings.   Museum pay is low enough, without
having such an absurd standard imposed.   If people are intimidated by
multiple earrings-GET OVER IT, or stay home.    They go to a museum to
enjoy the exhibits, and then end up bitching about an employee's
piercings?  People can dress very nicely, and professionally without
having to surrender every iota of their identity. A distinction
certainly needs to be made between some type of historic costume, which
is required, and more arbitrary rules which apply to staff at other
types of museums.   Suzanne Schroeder