From:
Andrew Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 13:22:05 -0700
A book to start with is Organizing Your Museum: The Essentials published by the American Association of Museums. this is a compilation of essays dealing with establishing a museum. As each state is different in regulating non-profit organizations, you should contact either your states
attorney office or your department of state officials. They will have the proper forms and regulations for establishing a non-profit organization. Federal tax exemption is filed through the IRS. You can review the qualifications and necessary forms at their web site
http://www.irs.gov/.
Good luck in your endeavors.

Andy Morrow

Verity Castell wrote:

> To All,
>    I am currently trying to form an historical society in a town that has
> none.  We also do not have an historical commission or any museums at all. I
> am looking for advice on where to begin, how to get 501c(3) status and how to
> form valuable connections with larger musuems or societies.  Any help will be
> greatly appreciated.
>                    Thanks,
>                       Verity Castell
>                       Spencer, Massachusetts
> PS. Can you get a Board together when you do not yet have 501c status or
> should the one follow the other?

> Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com.
>
> Important Subscriber Information:
>
> The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://museums.state.nm.us/nmmnh/museum-l.html. You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).

> [log in to unmask] The body of the message should read "Signoff
> Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).