From:
Elizabeth Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 12:09:55 -0400
Since I am trained as a material culture historian I too am dismayed with
the increased number of collectionless exhibits/museums.  Has your paper
explored why this is occurring?  I think one factor involved is the
increased competition of mass media and technology.  Audiences increasingly
expect exhibits to be flashy and high tech.  More and more exhibits are
going up with less objects and more blown up images, sound, and computers.
In other words audiences want a show.  On the one hand I am appalled.  On
the other hand one of the reasons museum collect objects is to present them
to the public.   I think museums are capable of finding a balance between
the two.  If museums don't change with the times than no one will visit,
less interest will be generated and funding will wane.   We can't be afraid
of technology and it can be use to our advantage.   What do the rest of you
think?

Museum-L" (without the quotes).