From:
Farar Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 14:01:59 -0700
I have been asked to write a short essay on museums, historic sites and
monuments that collect, interpret or commemorate lesbian and gay history
in the United States.  The essay is for a publication on civil rights in
the U.S.

I'm interested not only in institutions with a strong focus in lesbian
and gay history (e.g., Truman's Capote's boyhood home) but also museums
with good lesbian and gay history collections that are not part of any
permanent exhibitions (e.g., the papers of an early gay rights group
housed at a state historical society).  I am also interested in hidden
or disputed history, on the order of Jane Addams' circle of friends and
lovers(?) at Hull House.  I am less interested in temporary exhibitions,
since the publication is a reference book, presumably with a long shelf
life.

Could the lovely museum-l folks help me by letting me know what places
you are familiar with (or even have just heard of) that fit the bill?

Many thanks!

--
Farar Elliott
Executive Director