From:
Cristina Pimentel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:12:25 -0000
Hi,

I've been following quietly your discussion on Spanish museums and I do feel that you're placing too much emphasis on private versus
governmental issues in what concerns the development of a country's museological sphere. I confess I'm not very familiar with what happens on the other side of the border but from what I know I feel that maybe you're restricting your analysis to major National museums situated in major cities. I'm Portuguese and I understand your point of view. However, from my experience I would never restrict myself to what happens inside great National museums in Portugal. You see there are 660 museums in this country, only 28 (I'm not sure about this number but I can confirm if you wish) are State governed museums. That gives local authorities and other private actors great opportunities to induce change from below. Or do you feel that change and innovation can only be induced from above?