From:
Vera Uyehara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 07:59:15 -0600
Hellow Ross:  Thanks so much for your response.  I'm sending this to the
list serve in order to clarify your wise comment - "Odd, that it wasn't
built into the construction planning process".

True, it is odd, and under other circumstances, we probably would have
built it in.  In April 97, we had a large flood here, and lost our 2
facilities, and about 25% of our exhibits.  In addition, our volunteers
were dealing with their own losses, to their homes and places of
employment.  The City of Grand Forks lost the water plant, sewer system,
electricity was cut off throughout the city, everything went under.  The
science center took from the crisis, an opportunity perspective, and
ignored the danger perspective.  We purchased a large building, and
raised enough money to complete the purchase and basic renovations such
as heat, power and water.  Much of this money came from the kind people
from all over the United States, through flood emergency funding.  At
the same time we began a major new program, funded just at the time of
the flood, and maintained our existing programs.  We have been trying to
look ahead as much as we can, but have not been able to fund floor staff
at this time.  Hopefully, over the next few years, we will have some
unrestricted streams of revenue that will help support this function,
and we can spread everything out more.

Thanks for your advice regarding leadership and example.  It is so true,
and cannot be underestimated.

--

Vera L.Y. Uyehara               [log in to unmask]
Executive Director              (701) 795-8500 (Voice)

Museum-L" (without the quotes).