From:
Barry Szczesny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 11:42:40 -0400
Following is a message my colleague Andy Finch posted in March about
this year-old petition, the eventual legislative outcome, and steps to
take to advocate more effectively for the cultural agencies.

Please take note that this year-old petition mentions a "Nina
Tottenberg" (sic) NPR story about a U.S. Supreme Court decision
involving the NEA.  This decision, NEA v. FINLEY was issued by the court
June 25, 1998.  So if you see this petition again, please do not
circulate it.  Because it is not dated, it is misleading.

Barry Szczesny
AAM Government Affairs
***************************************
Probably many people on the list remember this petition on the cultural
agencies from last year -- the trouble with the internet is stuff
circulates forever!

Here's how it turned out:  The Supreme Court struck a compromise that
nobody liked (probably wise) and Congress (to everybody's surprise) took
a resounding vote in favor of the NEA, so the cultural agencies have
survived for another day.  In fact, in the end PBS got a fairly big
increase.  Generally, the expectation for this year is that things will
be much calmer.  Let's hope so, anyway.

If people want to urge members of Congress to support the federal
cultural agencies, that would be fine, but it's probably best not to
refer back to the issues raised in the petition, since they're out of
date.

Andy Finch
American Association of Museums