Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:53:55 PST
While I can't give you a "legitimet" source, I have read that the
damage caused by scanning is much less than the continued damage if
the original is used for research, etc. In other words, after a good
scan, you can put the original safely away in a controlled environment
and quit worrying about further damage from handling.

"AV" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I am asking a collector to reproduce some artwork that he has. It is graphic
>designs, hand drawn and colored on paper from the mid-18th century. The
>material is not particularly fragile; it can be handled. I have said that
>for my purposes, a direct scan on a flatbed scanner would offer the least
>"generations" from original to final reproduction. He is, understandably,
>concerned about the light from the scanner and any possible damage that it
>might do.
>
>Scanners use a wide spectrum flourescent light. I do understand that
>something like a Xerox copying machine uses a much brighter (halogen? )
>light that might be detrimental to old materials. But what about scanners?
>What is the policy at museums for the use of scanners on original material,
>particular older graphic prints or books?
>
>Thanks
>
>Andy Voda

Jim Kajpust - Personal Freedoms - Michigan
http://www.concentric.net/~jkajpust