Colin Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:11:39 -0800
Alan Heaberlin <[log in to unmask] > wrote:
>Though relevant education is desirable, I prefer to see job-relevant
experience on a resume. ...
>Someone with multiple Ph.D. may have deficient life experience to function
in a high pressure
>environment where formal and specific education may prove no benefit.
>Getting a job is basically a matter of selling yourself. Any sales manager
will tell you that a
>sales presentation's main purpose is to eliminate your prospect's
objections to the product--in this
>case YOU.
Colin Stevens comments:

Having worked in the museum field for over 25 years, I believe a mixture of
education and experience is usually desirable in a successful candidate.  As
an employer, I often have a range of fully qualified people to chose from at
interviews.  At times I have passed up people with higher educational
qualifications for those with good education plus relevant experience.  As
well, in spite of the attempts of personnel departments to depersonalize the
hiring & scoring process (in the interest of fairness), one cannot ignore
the effect of how a person comes across during an interview.

Sometimes you KNOW that you are the ideal person for a job, and all of your
colleagues know it too, but you still may not get the job (I know this from
experience).  You may never find out WHY you were not chosen. For future
efforts, knowing what the employer is looking for beforehand may help (e.g.
are they looking for a team player or a strong independent decisive
person?).

It hurts to not get the job. It can also hurt to have to say "I'm sorry,
we've hired someone else". When an employer makes a decision to hire or not
to hire, they are aware that they are affecting the lives of not only the
candidate, but also the lives of their families, and the life of the
employer himself (herself) as they will usually be working with this new
employee for years to come.

Colin Macgregor Stevens, Museum Curator, Burnaby Village Museum
City of Burnaby,  BC,  CANADA  (604) 293-6500
Business: [log in to unmask]
Museum Webpage:
http://www.burnabyparksrec.org/villagemuseum/villagemuseum.html