From:
"K.L. Tzang" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 23:54:32 -0700
Well, I don't know specifically of a "a museum Web site that uses holograms
or 3D effects to view objects..." but there is a pilot project that uses 3D
display in museums.  Last I saw it, it was a free-standing display in the
Royal British Columbia Museum.  I believe that the project was an initiative
by the Canadian Museum of Civilization but don't quote me on that.
Initially, I was more than a little sceptical about this rather strange
contraption - in order to get the full 3D effect, you have to look into a
large box (about 7 feet high by 8 feet wide?)  through built in glasses
arranged at different heights along the front of the box.  Despite the
awkward arrangement, I found myself engrossed and spent quite a bit of time
at this exhibit.  The objects 'floated' in space, rotated to show all sides,
and was accompanied by a very informative recorded narrative.  I can see the
potential benefits of this technology but it also needs to be less
cumbersome if we are to integrate it into our museums.
Maybe another Canadian on the list can give you better details on who
created the project, etc.

Museum-L" (without the quotes).