From:
Alice S Wessen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:32:12 -0800
Andy

I am well aware of this project. JPL has several at any one time.  The joy
of this particular one is the partnering with other large institutions to
"share the work/resources" and leverage the outreach. And obviously, Mars
has a great deal of public interest.

My particular question remains.  There are literally thousands of museums
and science centers. We, JPL, do not have a "formal" process for how we
interact with museums. Generally, a contact is made through several doors.
A JPL'r visits a center and gets interested, a museum calls JPL etc.

We struggle with many of the same issues as museums-how to best serve the
public in an era of dwindling resources?  Example, a museum calls and asks
for images. There is no current "one stop shop" for all images at JPL,
though many have been put on a web called Planetary Photojournal. In
working with major museums, I am surprised to discover the inability to
"download" high res images, so we end up sending out zip disks.

One suggestion is for JPL to host an annual "museum/science center day" and
just invite all to "come on over" and spend the day with various projects
and personnel.  Obviously, budgets are limited for museums, so picking a
time when another conference is in the Los Angeles Area might be helpful.

Feel free to e-mail me directly at:

I thank you for thoughts and time.

Alice Wessen
Outreach Lead-JPL Commercial Technology and Technology and Applications
Programs
Mail Stop 180-401
Jet Propulsion Laboratory/California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive
 Pasadena  CA  91109-8099
818-354-4930
818-393-4093 fax