From:
Laura Mahoney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:53:18 -0500
     Susan,

     Unfortunately, in the United States at least, it is true that
     basically anyone can call themselves a personal property appraiser
     with no formal training.  Unlike real estate appraisers, there is no
     uniform accreditation process for personal property appraisers.  There
     are professional appraisal organizations (American Society of
     Appraisers, International Society of Appraisers, American Association
     of Appraisers) that do require coursework, exams, etc. for members.
     However, membership in one of these professional organizations is NOT
     required to call oneself a personal property appraiser.

     From a budding appraiser in the George Washington University Appraisal
     Studies program...

     Laura McMann Mahoney

     I'm curious about a secondary question to this discussion. How many
     museum professionals are actually accrediated to perform appraisals?
     I thought that there was a rigorous selection of course work one had
     to take before passing a exam on the subject. As I understand it, an
     acknowledged expertise in the field and employment in a museum does
     not give anyone the right to call themselves an appraisor.  I would
     welcome a chance to become enlightened.

     Susan Smyer