From:
David Formanek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:20:28 EST
1. The  History and Social Influence of the Potato by Redcliffe Salaman,
Cambridge Paperback Library, Cambridge University Press, REvised edition 1989.
2. Distinguish between potatoes and yams, an entirely different genus of plant
(Dioscorea) used for food and medicine (cortisone, e.g.)
3. I can't recall the author, but he has two recent popularizing books on the
science of food and cooking lore investigations. ("The Curious Cook"?). In
libraries.
4. The Inquisitive Cook by Anne Gardiner and Sue Wilson with the
Exploratorium. Owl Books 1998.

I have to sign off now. My son dropped 8 ounces of raspberry-blackberry-
blueberry sorbet frappe at the foot of the stairs. I mop.

David Formanek
Cyrus E. Dallin Art Museum
Arlington MA 02476 USA