From:
Felicia Pickering <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 11:23:54 EDT
I find it interesting that modern Natural History Museums are criticized
for exhibiting and collecting artifacts produced by humans.  Most modern
Natural History Museums worth their salt long ago broadened their missions
to study all areas of humanity, not just non-white cultures.  The tendency
to think of humans as separate from and superior to the natural world is
more typical of western cultures than non-western ones.  I personally find
it more ethical to consider humans as part of the natural world rather
than to segregate human history and artifacts into separate temples to
human culture like art museums and history museums.  That said, of course
there is a place for all types of museums, and all types of museums will
have interesting and different perspectives on humans and their cultures.
Natural History Museums have their place in the discourse on what it means
to be human and should continue to exhibit and collect (... photos of "nude
youths" included!)