From:
Leslie Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:00:12 -0800
All,

Forgive the cross-postings.  I am taking part in the very early,
tentative, planning stages for a project to undertake collections
management, cataloging, digitization and web-based publishing of the
Stanford family collection at both the Cantor Arts Center at Stanford
and the Stanford University Archives.  The goals include everything from
basic inventory to visual documentation to identifying areas of overlap
between the collections or visually documenting the collections to
publishing interpretive materials and finding aids online.  One idea
that's being thrown around is using a virtual version of the Stanford
family gallery as the entry paradigm, moving in to larger images of the
objects, to tombstone and didactic label information, to archival
information about the provenance at the time that the Stanford's
collected the objects.  Of course cross-referencing links can beget
links, and the level of granularity is an issue.

What I'm looking for is examples of sites (I expect most if not all will
be at
universities) that combine collections and archives online to create a
resource that presents not only objects but archival metadata,
_especially_ if
the archival material is also itself excerpted.  The only close examples
that
I've found so far (in the beginning stages of searching) are at Cornell
University (http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/online/online.htm) and the
Phoebe Hearst Museum at UC Berkeley
(http://www.qal.berkeley.edu/~hearst/musarch.htm).

As to using a virtual space at the jumping off point for viewing more
data
about objects, there's the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
(http://www.thinker.org/deyoung/exhibitions/crosscurrents/virtual/index-2.html)

and a test site that I saw a couple of years ago that Corbis developed
for the
Amon Carter.

What else is out there?

Thanks in advance,
Leslie Johnston
Cantor Arts Center at Stanford University