From:
"G.Krygsveld" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 01:15:19 GMT
On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:22:28 -0600, Southwest Museum Services
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a mail correspondence or online course or training in
>> artifact conservation? I would appreciate any leads.
>
>I know of no correspondance courses in conservation, and
>honestly, I wouldn't recommend that anyway- just like
>I would avoid a surgeon who did med school in that manner.
>Artifact conservation really needs hands-on learning in a functioning lab.

I find myself in almost the same situation. I dont live in an area
where there are any schools worth mentioning(basket weaving and
chinese cooking?). Hands on is the way I learned but the nearest "lab"
is at least 300Km away. In addition, most museums here are non-profit,
volunteer organizations. The fees for those services are astronomical
and the jobs scarce.
 A basic course of any sort is a must for those of us who must learn
by trial and error. At least to learn the theory behind it and the
do's and don'ts of preservation.
The other assumption people make when I ask about conservation, they
assume I want Curatorial courses (politics, volunteer relations,
etc.). I almost have to become a chemical engineer before someone will
offer me "technical" courses.
I am about to follow those links but are there tech courses out there?
Grant K