From:
Bill Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 11:41:11 -0500
From: Melissa A Washburn <[log in to unmask]> ... it's probably more
effective to give younger kids museum experiences,...they are very likely to
return during middle age...

I think this is where we - the small historic site staff - earn our keep. A
child's first experience with "museums" is usually being dragged by parents,
scouts or fourth grade class to the old house in their home town run by
volunteers. We have to watch that this isn't the place where the lady keeps
telling them "Don't Touch!"

Most historic houses are staffed by a small "do it all" cadre composed of a
site manager/director/curator and volunteers.  He/she designs the
educational materials which are theoretically approved by the board and then
presented to the school visitors.

The lack of bureaucracy allows the material to be field tested on Monday and
Tuesday, modified on Wednesday and tried anew on Thursday and Friday. (Okay,
a little exaggerated!) The point being if that great idea that sounded so
good in committee bombs with the children, or doesn't lend itself to
presentation in the field, it can be quickly modified. Therefore, what works
best is adopted. New ideas as current as today's newspaper can be added to
the lesson plan.

A stated goal at my site is that we want the children to enjoy the
experience of being guests here and at the same time learn from the visit
experience. The child takes home the positive thought that the museum
(historic site) was fun or neat and cool, and in discussion with Mom and Dad
and siblings that evening, excitedly share the things that they saw and
learned with their class. (It is really rewarding seeing a child return on
the weekend with family in tow.) Then maybe, just maybe, when the Parental
Units say. "let's go to the Art Museum," the children will think, "that the
'house' museum was fun, how bad can this 'art' museum thing be?"  We have
then passed the baton on to others and hope that they continue the learning
experience in a pleasant/positive way.

I feel it is our mission to teach and excite our visiting children with the
lessons of the particular historic site.  At the same time introduce them to
the enjoyment of the "museum experience." (We are, after all, educators.) As
they approach adulthood, they will continue to enjoy museums and support
them. And start the next generation!

Bill Maurer
Director
Gomez Mill House