From:
Jennifer Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 20:14:27 -0400
Greetings! I used to be a library manager for a small historical society.
People would come often enough, asking to "view" their accessions. After
tripping over boxes while trying to sort out the library (which had been
piled up for years), I put a temporary stop to it by asking for the
requests in writing. I had no staff and in grad school full-time. It was a
mess.

I am inclined to respond to a request in the negative. Once an item is
donated, then the museum can essentially determine its fate. A letter
stating the huge volume of collections makes it impossible to accommodate
such a request should be sufficient. However, I want to hear Museum-Ler's
thoughts on the subject. I'm sure others have come across such requests.
Thanks in advance!!
Jennifer L. Williams
Independent Museum-type Person (IMP)
Boone, NC