From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:50:00 -0500
This regards the discussion of how museums are able to offer "scholarships"
to children in need for their various educational programs.  We have been
successful in creating foundation-funded scholarships for needy children
whose families want to enroll them in our summer Youth Apprentice Program.
The grants are made annually by two small foundations who are glad to have
their name mentioned.

In the school districts of our region of rural Virginia, the schools
themselves make certain every child can be part of a class visit -- each of
the school's PTA or other group provides a "kitty" for this purpose.
Thanks to three of our board members, we are always able to hand a teacher
$5 per needy child to spend in our gift shop, and it comes from a cash fund
established and kept filled by three members of our board.
Ross Weeks Jr.