From:
Deborah Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 10:20:36 EST
I can image a segregated space that could work for dining in a gallery BUT we
just went through a major effort to create a "no food in the galleries"
policy.  The reasons were that food (crumbs, liquids, pieces) will drop on the
floor, issuing a clarion call to all local insects and mice.  The aftermath
potential for damage to objects is very great.  And of course, the potential
for food not dropping on the floor but being spilled on objects is very high.
You know, you've just got to set that wine glass somewhere, and there is that
handy sculpture stand.  Also, people in the midst of a "dining experience" are
in social mode and don't necessarily notice that they are leaning against a
painting while chatting.  Providing gallery level security and object
protection at such an event is difficult at best.

So we have written a policy that specifically states where in the museum food
can be served (lobbies for instance but not galleries) and the reasons why.
We worked closely with the events folks so that in the end, they were on our
side.  We also worked closely with Board members who wanted to plan a 500
person dinner in the art gallery.  They came to understand our concerns and
instead put the dinner in a tented space in the garden.  It was very elegant -
a magical environment - and everybody was so pleased.

If you would like a copy of the policy, send me your snail mail address.

Deborah Cooper
Museum Collections Coordinator
Oakland Museum of California