From:
Karen Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:35:50 -0600
In the fall of 1997, the University of Chicago installed a Medeco InSite
key system in our museum as part of a $10.1 million renovation and
expansion project.  The system has given us endless serious problems since
that time, and we are beginning to wonder whether the University should
continue to install this system (so far we are the only "working" installed
system on campus).  I would appreciate hearing from any list members who
have had experience with this key system.  If you respond to me off-list, I
will summarize for the list.

(For those wondering, the Medeco InSite system is an electronic access
system that uses electronic door hinges and locks, computer-programmed
keys, and key readers to let individuals through doors and to record their
movements on a centralized computer.  In essence, it is a system which uses
programmable keys to perform the functions that cards perform in many other
security/access systems.)

Karen L. Wilson
Oriental Institute Museum Director
1155 East 58th St.