From:
Hlne Bernier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 09:12:35 -0500
Although I am still not sure that this whole discussion about Canadians and
"U.S.ians" is relevant to the list, I find it quite amazing to see this
identity crisis going on. My ancestor settled in Quebec in 1635, at the
time "Nouvelle-France" was just beginning to expand, to eventually reach
the Gulf of Mexico before the French lost it to the English a century and a
half later. Two years ago, a member of the U.S. senate cited us, French
Canadians, as an example of immigrants who do not want to learn the
language!!

There are indeed big differences in the language spoken in Toronto,
Vancouver, Dallas, Boston or even London or Australia; so can you just
imagine what it is to be 7 millions French speaking "Quebecquers" in an
ocean of more that 250 millions of English speaking North-Americans... When
in London, I am not asked if I am American, but if I am from France...or
Holland! Having lived in Toronto and Boston, I still do not master the
English language as you can see, but I can tell that you are different:
Canadians from Americans, West coast from East Coast, North from South, and
not only from an "accent" point of view. And I sure feel different from all
the continent, which makes it challenging but not always easy.  As museum
people, should not our first qualities be understanding and respect (not
tolerance which is somewhat condescending), and at the least a certain
sense of differences.

In fact, maybe this discussion has something to do with a museum list...

These were my two "Canadian" cents (worth .65 US$...this is a big difference!)

Helene Bernier
Directrice, Service des expositions internationales
Musee de la civilisation, Quebec, Canada
418 643-2158
FAX:  418 643-7229
Envoyer documents sur- Send attachments on
Macintosh Word 5.1, Exel 4.0, File Maker pro 3.0