From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:09:19 -0600
First and foremost:  do not offer any "lifetime" memberships, no matter how
much they are.  Once someone or a company takes one of those, you can kiss
future donations goodbye.

We have a "Patron" membership which was adopted at my recommendation seven
years ago, to replace the "Company" membership.  That category is now about
three times as large as the old Company category because individuals are
now also encouraged to upgrade to Patron.  This category has a minimum fee
of $100.  The larger corporations come in voluntarily at $250 to $1200.

We send renewal invoices on the calendar date of joining.  The invoice is
accompanied by a one-page letter from me reviewing our accomplishments over
the past year (I update it but once a year).  The invoice includes a note
suggesting an upgrade to a higher category membership.

The only thing Patron members get that others don't, is a brass nameplate
on our Patron board that hangs in the lobby.  No one has ever complained
that they don't get something extra.  They are giving to support the museum
and want us to spend the money on exhibits and programs, not on them.

More to come if you want it.

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum