From:
Peter Youngman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:59:02 -0600
The Arrow 2000 Project museum has a 1950s air force uniform that we
    want to put on display.  However, we do not have a case that would
fit
    it, and feel it would be best displayed on a mannequin.  As with
most
    small museums, we have practically no funds--anyone have any ideas
on
    obtaining or making "affordable" mannequins, or any suggestions on
    alternate means of displaying a uniform?
Tim McShane

    Yeah, new mannequins are pricey.  I suggest hitting up department &
clothing stores.  I know from personal experience that, while you may
get a lot of rejections, you can eventually swing a donation of a quite
serviceable old mannequin or two.  Big department stores in particular
often get new display stuff in and don't have enough storage space for
the old items.  Rather than bothering with trucking it to the warehouse
or rearranging their storerooms, they junk tons of stuff they don't need
at that moment.  Sometimes it's never even been used.

Timing is everything.

Sometimes they will be very happy to have it go to good use.  Sometimes
they will want their donation to be a secret, as their junking policy
could look bad if wider known.

Sometimes the store manager is the person to see.  (Certainly with any
smaller store.)  Sometimes the art department head (or whatever they
call it) would be a better bet.  You might even ask someone like the
dock supervisor first who a good person to talk to would be.  (There are
a lot of frustrated managers in department stores.  You'd best avoid
them.)  Be discrete.