From:
Christopher Petrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 12:45:05 -0500
Olivia,

In regards to your points, based on my initial research I have found that
there are certain definitions which can be agreed upon:
-large exhibition
-objects/artifacts that are unique; usually from various institutions
-greater staffing and expertise required
-more money available for marketing
-greater attendance expected
-astonishment factor (often an artist's name)

However, one thing that I have found difficult to find is who defines
what a blockbuster is? Curators might base their definition on the
artifacts, Administrators on the audience, Marketing on the budget
they have to deal with.

Does anyone have any opinions as to whether the public can decide
what a blockbuster is, whether by attendance and interest they can
turn a large exhibit into a blockbuster.

Or are blockbusters products of the museum, marketed and promoted by
the institution to the public?

Christopher