From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:24:02 +1300
KEN WROTE:

>Yet, while in New Zealand I was constantly reminded how "superior" New
Zealand was to Australia. There were constantly snipes and (especially in
Auckland) occasional rude comments about Australia. Two young men in a book
store in Auckland went so far as to tell me that Australian's were "dicks
and convicts". (Their words not mine).

>Truth be told, it seemed like a "little country, big ego" complex to me.
This is not to say that the New Zealanders I encountered were not pleasant
or hospitable, just had this antagonism against Australia.>

It is ALWAYS a danger to generalise about races, cultures and national
characteristics.  As a KIWI I would readily agree that there is 'friendly
banter' between us (as neighbours across the ditch) This can at times be
somewhat pointed and heated.  However rigorous this camaraderie can be
 especially during sports fixtures ),  we generally regard those in OZ with
grudging affection.
The comments by you bookshop attendants are NOT typical.

You actually have to LIVE in either country to fully appreciate the debate
on such cultural icons as the PAVLOVA and the LAMINGTON.  A visit to either
country's museums confirms a common approach to life, despite our difference
in size.

Personally I don't feel superior to any Australian - well not today at
least!

Roger