From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 17:39:16 -0600
That is really upsetting!

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
100 East Cedar
Angleton, Texas  77515
(409) 864-1208
museum_bob
http://www.bchm.org

----------
From:   Ross Weeks[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Friday, February 05, 1999 4:56 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: Was: Your TOP EVENT Now:  news

As a onetime newspaper writer, David, I agree entirely with your essay.  On
the other hand, newspapers adhere to a writing style that suits their
audience; there are those that consciously write for those with fourth-grade
educations.  There are very few newspapers of quality left in the United
States.  Unfortunately, we're seeing evidence on this list of the "dumbing
down" of literacy in America.   For course credit, a Ph.D. candidate
submitted to our publication an article which had so many incomplete
sentences, spelling errors ("mansion" was "manison" throughout, and it was
not a typo) and unattributed quotes.  That person will get the Ph.D. from a
respected state university, end up teaching history or even, Heaven forbid,
on the staff of an historical museum.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Tazewell Va.