From:
Andover Historical Society <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:10:04 -0500
Two years ago, I had a show by an installation artist (a woman) that showed
female genitalia without my knowledge (and I helped install the show).  For
weeks, there was a lot of heat about the outrageous exhibit and I couldn't
figure out what was wrong.  I defended the artists' integrity, our freedom
of expression (This is America!), and "This is what art looks like now!,"
etc. etc.  When it was eventually pointed out to me I got red in the face,
but hid my ignorance and kept on defending it.  Children and people 59 years
and younger loved it.  No problem. But women, 60 and over, were boycotting
us and denouncing me all over town.  It seemed to be a generational problem.
But I loved the dialogue and publicity and would do it again.
Tom Edmonds, Curator
Andover Historical Society
Andover, MA