From:
Sarah Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 21:11:18 +0800
Over the past 12-18 months I have been working with a number of agencies
which wish to better interpret their heritage sites and buildings
(particularly houses) to the public. Many furnish the buildings in such a
way as to suggest that someone has just left the room, others settle for a
brochure. Some sites use audio guides, others use signage.

I am hoping to travel to the USA and Canada later this year. I would
therefore be keen to visit places which have interpreted their heritage
sites and buildings in a variety of different ways. In addition I would be
keen to follow up on how some museums have dealt with the issue of
refurnishing and reinterpreting a building(s) that has been furnished in the
same way for many years. In such cases there is often a strong band of
volunteers or the local public who don't want to see changes made because
they like it the way it's always been. The development of interpretation
plans is also of interest.

I would greatly appreciate it if recommendations of places to visit could be
sent through to me off-list. Once equipped with names of places, sites or
institutions I can then follow up additional information using other means.

Many thanks,

Sarah Murphy                          e-mail to: [log in to unmask]
Museum Consultant
Western Australia