From:
Ton Cremers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:18:15 +0100

> I would be grateful for copies of anyone's succinct, clear statement
> to visitors explaining why they should not touch works of art.
> Please send them to my address off-list, or fax them to my attention
> at:  650/725-0464.

Hello Bernard Barryte,

Before answering your request first I like to share with you the
following statement I found in the archves of a Belgium museum:

'Visitors are kindly requested not to offer gratuities to the
attendants, nor to divert their attention by conservations'

At the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam our policy is not to give
explanations about housrules, one of which is, like in all art
museums, not to touch the objects. When you start explaining why you
do not want art to be touched, large bags or umbrellas taken inside
the museum, not to use flash when making photographs, no tripods etc.
you start inviting visitors to present their opinion. This may lead
to conversations without end. This seems to be very authoritarian,
but housrules are housrules: that's it!

Regards,

Ton Cremers

The Museum Security Network