From:
"William P. Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 11:13:21 -0500
We were recently approached by a group who asked us to have an event
similar to the antique roadshow.  We quickly declined, stating that our
policy does not allow us to provide appraisals, nor authentications.  (We
do provide identifications with no warranty).  So the recent thread on
this list has raised some questions for me.

While I am always glad to hear that a museum has had a successful program,
I would like to know how Mr. Needham and Ms. Henri's museums have dealt
with the potential conflict of interest and liability that may come from
providing appraisals or authentications.  Please do not take this message
as an attack.  I am truly just interested.

The ICOM Code of Ethics states:

". . . written certificates of authenticity or valuation (appraisals)
should not be given, and opinions on the monetary value of objects should
only be given on official request from other museums or competent legal,
governmental or other responsible public authorities."

In my opinion, providing programs that further connect artifacts with
monetary values works against museums' attempts to preserve artifacts and
teach the public.  It may also encourage looting and illicit trade in
cultural property.  Is luring individuals to the museum with the
promise of appraisals worth the extra attendance that it provides?
Is the cultural understanding, or aesthic experience that is
gained during the visit not cancelled by the big price tag that has been
placed on everything?

(All opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the
Mathers Museum or Indiana University.)

Sincerely,

William Scott
William Philip Scott                     |
Collections Manager and Office Assistant |
Mathers Museum of World Cultures         |
Indiana University                       |
601 East Eighth Street                   |
Bloomington, IN 47405                    |
Email: [log in to unmask]                |