From:
Zelda Baveystock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 19:35:38 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Adrienne
Deangelis <[log in to unmask]> writes
> My
>own feeling is that UCLA wants to hire someone who doesn't need the money;
>this happens with museums and universities in Britain all the time.  What
>they really want is someone with the right contacts, ability to raise money,
>and a good wardrobe, who is willing to work for peanuts in return for a nice
>title and association with an elite, or at least snobby, institution.

I'm not sure, Adrienne, whether you are speaking here from personal
experience or received wisdom.  I can't speak for universities, but I
have no museum colleagues in the UK who don't need their salary! This
might have been the case in some of the nationals a few decades ago, but
I think the main offenders on that score today are probably the renowned
auction houses in London, who seem to employ the distinctly well-heeled
for peanuts.  THis is not to say that UK museum salaries aren't also
drastically lower than many other professions - and yes, all the recent
debates about suitable qualifications over experience are just as
pertinent here too. Do Americans generally perceive UK museums as being
more'snobby' institutions than your own?
--
Zelda Baveystock
Assistant Keeper, Broadfield House Glass Museum