From:
"Peter B. Tirrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:09:51 -0000
Jeremy - A few comments.

>Subject:     now that you're here, nat-hist'ers...

>ok, so if you guys all lurk in the background, WHY???

I checked my ³sent mail² and I have replied to the list about a dozen times in the past few months. I check it at least three times every day including weekends. I tend to use the direct approach and reply off-list to address and discuss with individuals. If the original discussion continues on the general list and I think that I can contribute, I do.  Keeps things off the general list that others may not be interested. At the present, I am very tied up with moving into a new facility by spring, so I restrict my remarks to those questions or discussion where I think I can really contribute. I am also on at least six additional lists which I monitor daily, including those professional(e.g., ACUMG-L)  and private (e.g., hawk-l). This is not an excuse, but it may give you some idea why I lurk. I have to budget my time very carefully. Other listers may also.

>and now that ive got your attention, i would LOVE some advice, privately
>or herein, regarding jobs in nat-hist museums (or other venues).  I'm
>NOT asking you to post job openings (as if there were any) -- although
>that wouldnt hurt.

Send me a list of more specific questions. Your interests are very broad. BTW, OMNH has several openings on our web page and this may be of assistance.

>        i am curious as to WHAT i can do in a museum.  i have always loved
>nat.hist museums (i have been to philly's academy of natural sciences a
>billion times through the years), and now that i have  amaster's in
>zoology i wonder if i could use it as a curator or collections assistant
>or even in exhibit research or design (in colege i majored in bi as well
>as English, for creative writing).  i would love to know how one
>ventures into these areas.

I donıt know what you can do! However, with a masterıs in zoology and a major in english, you might do very well. There is a need for professional with scientific backgrounds who can develop interpretive media-they not only know something about zoology, they know how to present it to the public, the politician, the donor etc.

>        i do apologize to other people who may read this thinking i'm
>using the
>forum as a personal; job search place.  i am glad if other young people
>who are ready to slit their over-educated throats may join in the
>discussion , or benefit from the advice i hopefully am provoking.

No apology needed or necessary for my part. I suggest that you volunteer at your nearest natural history museum, or any museum. A lot of people gain valuable experience and insight in the profession this way, get references, and often get hired when the institutions get new funds or a position opens up. Good Luck!