From:
Tim McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:36:57 -0500
     Here's another vote for MS products.  I've had several courses in
     Access (which is my database of choice), and this knowledge has been
     useful for times when I've had to figure out what's going on with a
     Paradox or Oracle database.  My experience agrees with what others
     have suggested--courses in any of the database or spreadsheet packages
     would be useful; there are a lot of similarities among them.

     Just as an addendum, I paid for my initial Access training myself.
     Not only was it the database being used at my workplace, but I had
     noticed a lot of job postings specified experience in Access and Excel
     (and I could be mistaken, but I believe it is the database recommended
     by the British Columbia Museums Association).  I figured it was worth
     the price of the course to make me more productive in my current job,
     as well as more employable down the line.  The next course I'm looking
     at is one in Excel.

     BTW, thanks for everyone's suggestions on obtaining a mannequin; there
     were most helpful, and I'm sure we'll be able to properly display our
     uniform when our gallery opens in Feb. or March.

     Tim McShane
     Curatorial Assistant, Parks Canada
     (also, Co-Chair of the Museum Division, Arrow 2000 Project)

     Views and opinions expressed are entirely my own, and do not
     necessarily reflect those of Parks Canada or the Arrow 2000 Project
     Association