Angela Brayham <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:31:05 -0500
On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:45:48 EST5EDT, Holli Wheatcroft  wrote:

>Hello
>
>I'm in the process of completing a graduate diploma in arts
>administration.  My main interest is the museum sector.  I have a BA
>in art history and I have interned in a museum.  The departments in museums
>that really interest me include public programs, fundraising and
>administration.  I was just wondering if getting an MBA would be
>beneficial for a future career in the museum sector.
>
>Any advice would be appreciated.
>Daria
>work:  [log in to unmask]
>home:  [log in to unmask]

Furthering your education is always a good investment.  I am currently in the middle of a 11 month Accelerated MBA program at Colorado State University.  While the focus of the program is not arts administration, non-profit, or museum based, I am finding the experience enlightening and worthwhile.  I can certainly see the benefit of doing an MBA degree that is targeted towards our field, however, in some ways I am glad that I decided to enter a more traditional MBA program, especially as the focus of this particular program is on information technology.

Prior to entering this program, I was the Director of a small contemporary art space in Colorado.  Most of my friends and associates worked in or were somehow associated with the arts, nonprofits or academia.  While I interacted frequently with individuals from the  "business and corporate world", sitting in class with individuals who are interested in basically one thing - making lots of money, has really opened my eyes.

I know that I will go back to the museum field when I finish my degree next June, so courses in manufacturing and production seem irrelevant and even boring at times, however, as nonprofit managers and directors, I think it is important to know how these industries function, what drives them and why they make some of the decisions they do.  We also have to remember that many of our Board Members come from the corporate world, so understanding how these individuals think and what drives them is important to our success as museum and nonprofit leaders.

There are many excellent MBA programs out there.  Take the time to compare and evaluate them.  Based on my personal experience, I would recommend getting a Masters Degree in whatever your area of interest or specialty is and then supplement this with an MBA at some point.  The MBA may help give you an edge, and many institutions are starting to look for MBA's, but it will probably be your Masters or Doctorate Degree that will actually get you the job.

Angela Brayham
MBA Candidate, College of Business
Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO