From:
"John E. Simmons" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 09:16:02 -0600
> I am a member of a committee that is working on establishing a
> medical/scientific discovery center in my hometown...
> ...have had any experience with traveling trunks.  Can anyone give
> us any ideas or examples of the contents of a traveling trunk?

Our Public Education department has long experience with traveling
trunks for science education.  An excellent set of guidelines on
how to do these trunks was published by a former staff member.  The
citation is:

Patton, Elizabeth.  1991.  "Natural History Loan Material for the
Classroom."  Pp 149-158, in >Natural History Museums:  Directions for
Growth<, Texas Tech University Press, Lubbock.  ix + 252 pp.

Although Ms. Patton is no longer on staff here, our museum continues
to produce the best traveling trunks in the country.  You can contact
the staff member currently in charge of trunks, Ms. Jama Kolosick,
at [log in to unmask] or by phone at 785-864-4173.

John Simmons
Natural History Museum
University of Kansas