From:
Robin Le Van <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:57:13 -0600
Hi, John. A travelling trunk is a great idea, particularly for a new museum,
looking to build a new audience. I used to use one for travelling to
schools, promoting my small museum. Essentially, it can be whatever you feel
would work for you. In our case, it was a refurbished steamer trunk. It
contained artifact reproductions and photographs used to tell the story of,
in our case, the history of cosmetology (tailored to children as these were
for elementary schools). Nothing conservation-sensitive, rare or original
was used in this off-site trunk. We also had a travelling trade show
exhibition we could use at beauty schools, and cosmetology trade shows. It
also contained reproductions, but had a small Plexiglas case of some
original pieces (which were common-use items). For special exhibitions, we
would take along "Can you guess what it was used for?" machinery. These
small exhibitions were instrumental in helping us to develop our audience. I
hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Robin Le Van
Missouri Humanities Council